Monday, May 18, 2009

Colonial Girl Costume





Girlie: We're doing an American Revolution project at school. I want to be a colonial woman. Can you make me a costume?

Me: I can try.

Girlie: And I want to show the class how to make a quilt.

Me: Well, I don't know about a quilt...


Later that evening....


Me: I was looking on the internet about quiltmaking during colonial times, and it seems
like only the upper class women were able to have quilts made. How would you like to show the class how to make a hornbook instead?
Girlie: Then I'll be an upper class colonial woman. Can we work on the quilt now?


With my construction paper hornbook shot down, and armed with extremely limited sewing skills, a Hello Kitty sewing machine and a hot glue gun, we pieced together this colonial girl costume. It's certainly not close to being authentic, and I am aware that colonial women weren't running around in short-sleeved dresses, but I have no idea how to make a sleeve, and the girlie is very happy, which is the most important thing

Next up, the "colonial" quilt, which will be a very loose translation. Construction paper has already been vetoed, so I'm looking at using felt squares.


No comments:

Post a Comment